We know that water is the perfect drink for our health. There are no calories, no sugar and no artificial colours/flavours, but at some point, the taste of water can become boring!
We need some flavour to really quench our thirst from summer. Research has consistently shown that when people are given beverages that are cold and flavoured they will drink more, which is important for health and decreasing risk of heat-related diabetes complications.
It can often be difficult choosing drinks that are healthy, flavourful and low in sugar. Here are some tasty and low sugar drinks, approved by Dr. Evan, to keep you cool and hydrated this summer.
- Coconut Water is an amazing drink for keeping you hydrated. It is packed full of natural potassium that is important for your health. While there are some natural sugars in coconut water, be careful of brands with added sugar!!
- Lemonade is typically packed full of sugar. At home, try squeezing a few lemons and adding stevia or another zero-calorie sweetener for a refreshing treat.
- Herb-Infused Water is a great way to add some delicious flavour to your water. Mint, rosemary and basil are three of my favourite herbs to add a subtle flavour to any water pitcher.
- Fruit-Infused water is another way to add natural flavour to water. Citrus (lemon, lime or orange), berries (strawberry, blueberry or raspberry), stone fruits (peaches) and even cucumber are all great flavour additions. These can be combined with herbs a wonder summer sipper.
- Other additions that you might want to consider are a pinch of Himalayan rock salt or iodized salt. This will help your body to absorb the water and also can help to replace any electrolytes lost from sweat. Or try adding some ginger, turmeric or other ingredients that can help neuropathy!
For the infused waters, add your favourite ingredients to a pitcher, stir to combine. Let the pitcher sit in the fridge for ~12h or overnight and enjoy!